Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Baptist Hymnal Favorites


Lifeway recently released the list of songs to be included in the new 2008 Baptist Hymnal.

(They publish a new hymnal about ever 15 years or so.)

My top 10 favorites are:

Agnus Dei
And Can it Be (preferably with Indelible Grace's latest retuning)
Be Thou My Vision
God Moves in a Mysterious Way
Grace Greater Than Our Sin (This is perhaps my very favorite.)
How Deep the Father's Love for Us
It is Well with My Soul
Speak, O Lord
To God Be the Glory (with Andre Crouse leading it, of course)
When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

Songs on my "What where they thinking?" list include:
O Canada!
The Star Spangled Banner
My Country, 'Tis of Thee
In the Garden
In This Very Room
I've Got Peace Like a River
Morning Has Broken (Am I the only one to think of Cat Stevens on this one?)

I can't imagine an occasion to sing songs on this second list in Christian worship gatherings. But there are hundreds of other great songs and hymns included in the new Baptist Hymnal. I look forward to singing many of these 674 songs in worship to our great God. Thanks to all those who wrote the songs and to all those who helped compile this new Hymnal. It is a fine gift to the Lord's church.

No comments: