Monday, August 6, 2007

Book Review: Kindled Fire

If you know me well, you know that I pick my heroes from among dead people so that I'm less disappointed by their mistakes. In my first year at seminary, a wise professor assigned me to read Charles H. Spurgeon's Lectures to My Students. Spurgeon quickly became one of my heroes.

In January of this year I met Zack Eswine and was impressed by his heart for God, quick wit and concern for wanna-be pastor's like me. Today I just finished Kindled Fire and I want to say thanks to Zack Eswine for writing this book.

I want to follow Spurgeon's example and preach with a scripture manner. I want my life and preaching to be marked by the power of the Holy Spirit of God like Spurgeon's. In Spurgeon, I find an example of a man who struggled against depression (like I sometimes do) and saw God prove himself faithful again and again.

If you want to help me lead in this new church we're starting, would you consider reading this book too so that we might talk about it?

No comments: