Friday, January 19, 2007

Ski Missouri!

Yes, it's true. The obsessive skier has returned to the hill where he skied away many high-school nights. After four days in classes, I rented gear last night and met my brother at Hidden Valley Golf & Ski in Eureka, Missouri. There's nothing like carving through that frozen granular machine tilled snow. More often than not it looks and feels like ice. Learn to ski here and you can ski anywhere. Peak Resorts has upgraded the place and added a back side with some serious steeps for my home state. Go Hidden Valley Ski Team! My only complaint is that they don't sell Hostess Cherry Pies in the snack shop anymore.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I can relate. I learned to ski in Ontario, which is probably very similar.

and yes, we have ski hills in Ontario.

Notice that I said "hills". There are resorts in Ontario called "Mount St. Louis" and "Blue Mountain", but I believe these are quaintly named to attract avid skiers more than as an attempt to depict reality.

BTW: the "Louis" in "Mount St. Louis" is pronounce "Lewey" not "Lewis", just to keep this complicated.

obsessiveskier said...

Becky, we need to find a way to take the families skiing together sometime soon! Mount Saint Lewey has a nice ring to it.