Thursday, January 18, 2007

Book Review: Introducing Postmodernism

In the words of the great Mr. Slinger, the wise teacher in the picture book Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse, “Wow, all I can say is wow.” That simple exclamation is about all I have left to communicate the shock I’m feeling after reading this extended comic book designed to introduce us to postmodernism. I can honestly say that I’ve never read a book like this one. No table of contents. No chapters. No end to the black and white cartoon illustrations and use of captions to make the authors’ points. My eyes are tired, but not from reading a lot of words. My eyes are as tired as if I had just stared at a television for a few hours. In many ways, that’s what reading this book is like. With multiple images on every page, it is visually over-stimulating. Obviously the authors had a pedagogical purpose in mind with this bold new form of page layout, but I’m left too exhausted to figure it out.

There are actually three major sections in the book, each surveying the genealogy of something postmodern: first art, then theory and finally history. In terms of art, the book is helpful to understand why some people call strange things “art”. I’m hopeful that I’ll be a better student of this “art” the next time I visit Daniel Leibeskind’s new pavilion at the Denver Art Museum. In terms of theory, the book gave me a firmer grasp on why people speak of postmodernists as being skeptical of all metanarratives (a particularly helpful thing since I spend much of my life trying to teach others how the biblical storyline is the one true overarching story we all find ourselves in). In terms of history, the book helpfully reminds us that postmodernism is more than an over-hyped church growth opportunity (as many spoke of it at last year’s National Church Planting Conference I attended in Orlando, FL). Were you aware that the term was first used in the 1870’s? Neither was I. Postmodernism is part of the spirit of the age we live in. Along with remnants of the Pre-Modern and Modern worlds, Postmodernism is still here with us and a better understanding of it will enable us to live more fruitful missional lives.

Here is one of the most helpful quotes from the chapter surveying Postmodernism’s history. “This is the postmodern paradox – doubt which is itself in doubt and which therefore ought to be more tolerant of others beliefs (but isn’t, really).” (159)

Don’t let this book fool you. There is a real metanarrative that offers hope, meaning and love – things that we were made for but that postmodernism ultimately strips away from humanity. That overarching story is God’s story, the metanarrative of the redemption of a fallen creation that starts in Genesis and ends in Revelation.

Introducing Postmodernism, Richard Appignanesi & Chris Garratt, Icon Books, 2004

No comments: