Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Praise God for Gondolas!

If you've ever tried going skiing with kids, you've learned that the key to happy day on the slopes is minimizing the time it takes to get the kids from the car to the lifts. That's another reason why Arapahoe Basin is one of my favorite places to ski with my family...just back that minivan up next to the bunny slope, lift the tailgate, get'em dressed, step into your skis right next to the car and off you go. The only thing left to do at that point is fill the kids up with candy and snacks on the chairlift to keep their little furnaces running. But...if you've ever gone to one of those "fancy-schmancy" ski resorts where the free parking is a 15 minute bus ride away from the slopes, you know what a nightmare skiing with kids can be. Lost gloves, cold toes, strange and smelly people...these are not the makings of a happy day. So to my friends at Vail Resorts and the Town of Breckenridge, I give you my heartfelt thanks for installing the new BreckConnect gondola. Sophie and I tried it out this past Saturday and we loved it. Instead of waiting for a bus, riding 15 minutes and climbing 3 flights of stairs with gear in tow, my 6-year-old shredder and I strolled less than 100 yards to the gondola at the tailings lot, enjoyed the view from our airborne transport system for about 10 minutes and snacked away in warmth and comfort. Top that off with no steps up to the lift line at the peak 8 base and this daddy is one happy camper. Thanks again Breckenridge! You are the coolest ski town in Colorado.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you have to pay for the parking though? I'm not happy about the $10 they want to charge for the lots right by the Gondola. If they haven't started charging yet...they will. Too bad they didn't leave all the parking free.

obsessiveskier said...

I didn't have to pay because the pay lot didn't start till January 8th. Free would be nicer, but I'll pay the $10 to improve my chances of a longer day on the slopes with the kiddos.