On the Christchurch website, we have posted a number of Don Whitney's questions to ask yourself at the New Year. Here are some of my answers:
1. What's one thing you could do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?
Go on at least one prayer-walk each week.
2. What's the most humanly impossible thing you will ask God to do this year?
Grow Christchurch into a reproducing, self-supporting, missionary-sending, maturing church.
3. What's the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your family life this year?
Take another long summer vacation.
4. In which spiritual discipline do you most want to make progress this year, and what will you do about it?
Personal evangelism. Spend time in places where I can talk with people who don't go to church. Spend time with friends & family who don't get the gospel of Jesus yet.
10. What single thing that you plan to do this year will matter most in ten years? In eternity?
Equip and train other men to lead in ministry in the local church.
11. What's the most important decision you need to make this year?
What changes do we need to make at Christchurch in order for it to be more glorifying to God? Leading God's people at Christchurch to trust God and embrace change will involve my most important ministry decisions this year.
14. What habit would you most like to establish this year?
Exercising at least 3-4 times a week.
15. Who do you most want to encourage this year?
Megan, Anna, Sophie and the men God is calling to lead at Christchurch.
16. What is your most important financial goal this year, and what is the most important step you can take toward achieving it?
Lead Christchurch to become a self-supporting church that pays her pastors a reasonable salary so that they can take care of their families. This year, the most important steps I can take toward achieving that goal are 1) to trust God to grow Christchurch and to continue to give people who worship at Christchurch opportunities to give, and 2) to trust God to develop a team of partners who will financially support this church through each stage of growth.
19. What's one thing you could do this year to enrich the spiritual legacy you will leave to your children and grandchildren?
Read more scripture with my kids.
20. What book, in addition to the Bible, do you most want to read this year?
The Reformed Pastor, by Richard Baxter.
21. What one thing do you most regret about last year, and what will you do about it this year?
The way we left Cornerstone Church. Continue to pray and seek restoration of strained relationships with leaders there.
22. What single blessing from God do you want to seek most earnestly this year?
A greater experience of His grace that will motivate me as a husband, father, son, brother, friend, neighbor and pastor.
23. In what area of your life do you most need growth, and what will you do about it this year?
I need to grow in how I respond to criticism. I will seek out feedback from my wife & kids, church attenders, church members, church leaders, other pastors I meet with and my preaching coach.
25. What skill do you most want to learn or improve this year?
28. What one biblical doctrine do you most want to understand better this year, and what will you do about it?
The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit. I plan to read 2 systematic theology chapters on it and read Jim Hamilton's biblical theology on it.
31. In what area of your life do you most need change, and what will you do about it this year?
I need more of God's power demonstrated in my life and ministry. Through my study of the doctrine of the Holy Spirit, personal evangelism, preaching, disciple-making, family life and marriage, I will ask the Holy Spirit for more power and trust Him to give me that power for living as I repent and believe.