Monday, January 28, 2008

Praying with My Garbage Collector

One of the most spiritually mature men that I know is named Ismael. His first language is Spanish and he works in Superior as one of our garbage collectors. He drives a really cool side-loading garbage truck through my neighborhood on Mondays. We first met back in the fall of 2003 shortly after I moved my family into our house. I had a lot of extra stuff to toss away after the move, and Ismael was very kind and helpful. If you're a frequent reader of my blog, you may recall my earlier post "Pray for Our Garbage Collector."

Please pray for my friend Ismael today. Pray that God would heal his daughter and that God would continue to strengthen Ismael's faith. His wife died in June 2007, leaving him to raise their 7 year old and 10 year old daughters. Ismael's older daughter may be showing symptoms of the same illness that killed his wife. He is a man who knows what it means to walk by faith. Every time I speak with Ismael, the words of scripture roll off his tongue in the most real and natural manner. I wish you could meet him.

Today, Ismael and I met for a quick bible study and prayer outside in a nearby park in our neighborhood. As we sat down by a half-frozen pond full of Canada Geese, Ismael pulled out is copy of La Biblia de Las Americas. In God's providence, the Bible passage that Ismael asked me about was the same passage that our "Peacemaking Church" group studied together last night:

"Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy." - Proverbs 28:13 (ESV)

Our time together was short, but so spiritually refreshing. We've scheduled another meeting for next Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing my brother in Christ again on his next trip through town. When you think about it, there is no earthly reason why Ismael and a guy like me should be friends. That's why I think it's so cool that God has brought Ismael into my life as a friend, prayer partner and brother in Christ.

No comments: