Monday, April 21, 2008

Quince Bushes

My next door neighbor, Frank, is re-doing the landscaping in his front yard. Today, we removed about 50 square feet of sod from Frank's front yard and transferred it to my grass-deficient backyard. We also transplanted some Quince Bushes from his front yard to my backyard. And though the bushes are not rooted into their new spots yet, they are looking good and even starting to blossom. We applied a fair amount of root stimulator, so I'm pretty confident that they will settle in well. Quince bushes are pretty hardy. They remind me of Isaiah 27:6: "In days to come, Jacob shall take root, Israel shall blossom and put forth shoots, and fill the whole world with fruit." Our new quince bushes remind me of this promise from God to his people during difficult times. Did you know that Quince bushes also provide a great home for birds? The flowers produce a small red berry that birds feed on until mid-winter. The bushes also have prickles on them, providing the birds with a safe place to shelter. Thanks, Frank!

No comments: