Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Love A-Basin

The obsessive skier loves Arapahoe Basin, especially at this time of year. Nearly every run at Summit County's highest-altitude ski area remains open while every other Colorado ski area has now closed.

The spring skiing at A-Basin will stretch into summer this year - a closing day of June 8 was announced this week.

While some guys get out their bikes and golf clubs and start talking baseball, I'm still gleefully focused on carving turns in the corn. Spending a sunny spring day in the snow above 10,000 feet is about as good as it gets in this life. (Of course the skiing in heaven will be WAY better...spring skiing is just a foretaste of joy to come.)

I've now embarked on a new mission to top my record number of consecutive months skied on Colorado snow (19 months from October 2004 to April 2006). I have been skiing at least one day a month since October 2007. May & June will be easy with A-Basin staying open and my Colorado Pass still valid. July & August should be a cinch with a quick hike up to St. Mary's Glacier. September is the tricky one (your hike-to suggestions are appreciated). And with A-Basin's perennial battle to be the first resort to open each year, the 2008-2009 ski season is sure to start in October. Breaking 20 consecutive months could be a breeze...depending on what my options are in September.

No comments: