Monday, October 29, 2007

Pastoral Care for Sweep Victims

A wise pastor once told me that God has a pastoral purpose for all the pain you go through in life. "Before God can use a man greatly, He must wound him deeply," he would say. Last night I realized the truth of those words.

As the Colorado Rockies' hopes for a 5th game were dashed by a deep pop fly followed by a strikeout last night, I recalled the pain that God brought me through just 3 short years ago. Yes, God wounded me deeply when my beloved St. Louis Cardinals were swept in the 2004 World Series by the Boston Red Sox. And so today, the day after the bandwagon fans of Colorado watched in horror as the Rockies were swept in four quick and painful games, I find myself able to empathize with my people as they grieve the loss of their World Series Championship hopes (and the loss of a good bit of their pride as well).

Humility is a virtue. So is loyalty. Hang in there Rockies fans, God has a good purpose in your suffering, though you cannot see it today. As the anonymous pastor once said, "When we cannot trace His hand, we must simply trust His heart."

No comments: