Friday, May 18, 2007

Harry or Voldemort? Who's it gonna be?


I just finished reading the 5th book of the Harry Potter series. They keep getting darker, but the themes of love and justice are still there too. I must admit that during the climactic battle scene in this one, I started to feel as tired as I felt while I read the 5th book of the Left Behind series. When will it end!?! But it's a fun page-turner too. I'm starting to think that J.K. Rowling is going to kill off Harry at the end, as he lovingly attempts to save his friends from the Dark Lord Voldemort. What do you think?

3 comments:

Kent said...

I had exactly the same problem reading the 5th book of the Left Behind series. That was the slowest moving book of all the volumes that I read. I have to admit that I only made it to the 9th book, I think, before I got burnt out on the series, which started to take on the following tired pattern:

"Meet new character. Like new character. Character does lots of good. Character gets killed in gruesome way. Remaining characters mourn."

It just got old after a while for me. The wife says the 12th book sort of made up for it when the good guys finally - finally - win, but I haven't ever mustered the willpower to come back and finish the series.

As far as Harry Potter goes, brace yourself: It gets darker in the next book, but at least you don't have to toil through 800+ pages. Same good themes, though: friendship, justice, sacrifice. At least this series knew to end at 7 parts.

I wouldn't put it past Rowling to kill off Harry in the end. We'll see very soon...

obsessiveskier said...

I have a hard time imagining how it could get much darker, but I believe you. I guess I'm not that imaginative after all.

Would you ask Mindy if Jesus comes back in book 12 of the Left Behind series for me? I'm a bit curious, but I'm probably not going to finish that series before the Second Coming.

I'm with you, Harry's a dead man.

Kent said...

I believe Jesus does come back in the 12th book. Definitely a cool ending, and a nice departure from the "the higher the body count the better" type of series.

Still, like you, I probably won't be making it that far. Oh well.